Wikipedia Takes Nairobi
Wikipedia Takes Nairobi is a scavenger hunt and free content photography contest organized by Wikimedia Kenya – unchapter – and the Kenya ICT Board where participants compete to take photographs of as many local sites as possible for Wikipedia articles (especially Swahili) where they are needed. New articles are also expected to come from this.
The contest will be in two parts:
- Photograph Competition
- Articles Competition
Participants will compete to photograph as many sites as possible from a list of goals whose articles lack photographs, or that are missing certain essential photographs. The list will also include sites without articles so as to encourage writing of new articles. By Goals, we mean relevant sites will be pre-selected in which participants are to operate within. These can either be buildings or streets. The Goals will also indicate the points awarded for pictures taken.
See Goals here: Wikipedia_takes_Nairobi/Goals
Ending Party and Prizes
After the competition there will be a party to select and award winner(s) of the competition. Winners will be judged under three categories i.e.
- Most points: these will be top competitors who have accumulated most points from the pictures they have taken
- Public votes (Pitch session): owners of the top five publicly voted pictures will have the opportunity to talk about their picture during a pitch session on the day of the party from which the best will be selected by a panel of judges
Swahili Wikipedia articles will be written by contestants during the duration of the competition. The articles must revolve around the pictures taken during the photograph competition. A panel will be available to judge the quality of the articles written and award points accordingly. Competitors who accumulate most points will be winners of this competition.
Rules and regulations
- The competition will be open to all Kenyans, except relatives of the judging panel. The competition will be open from 03 November 2011 to 17 November 2011
- Competitors must be registered online to be eligible to compete
- Teams should be a minimum of one and a maximum of four persons (photography section)
- All pictures submitted should be taken during the competition
- You should not make persons on the street the focus of your photographs, without their permission. If someone is in the background, or part of a crowd, or happens to be standing in front of a building in an inconspicuous way, it’s OK.
- The entrant(s) must be in a position to release the image under a CC license to be uploaded to Wikimedia Commons and released under a compatible Creative Commons or Public Domain license.
- Respect the police/authority: if the police or someone in authority asks you to stop taking pictures, stop.
- Wikipedia Takes the City
- Wikipedia takes Manhattan
- Wikipedia Takes Manahattan Goals